Let us know your thoughts by emailing one of the WBS Librarians http://www.westminster.ac.uk/academicliasion or tweeting @UniWestLib or leaving a comment on the blog. Look out for us next week on the Learning Platform- we will be popping up there for 30mins each day so if you see us come and say hello and let us know your thoughts.
Thursday, 5 December 2013
Friday, 22 November 2013
...is now available as an e-book. Access it here. (You will need to log-in with your University username and password).
Thursday, 21 November 2013
This week (18-22 November) and next week (25-29 November) you can come along to Marylebone Library Training Room (1st floor) and get help with your referencing. The sessions are Mon-Fri at 1.45-2.15pm and 4.15-4.45pm. No need to book, just come along. You can also learn about RefWorks, a piece of software you can access for free while at the University. It helps you store & manage your references and creates your bibliography automatically. Learn more about RefWorks here: http://www.westminster.ac.uk/library-and-it/support-and-study-skills/guides-and-tutorials/referencing-your-work/refworks-and-endnote
Friday, 8 November 2013
There are lots of other libraries that are available to you if you want to study closer to your home or browse some different books. Here's our guidance for accessing them:
Sign up for SCONUL Access to get into other academic and specialist libraries
- Go to: http://www.sconul.ac.uk/sconul-access and fill in the required information.
- You will need to have no blocks or overdue items on your Westminster library account.
- Check the library's opening times.
- Take along the email you receive and your University of Westminster card to the library.
- Undergraduates will normally only be allowed reference access.
- You normally will NOT be able to access their e-resources or computers.
- You can use WiFi while visiting when you see EDUROAM on your list of networks. To sign in you need to type your normal username followed by @westminster.ac.uk for example email@example.com and then your usual university password.
- Undergraduate and taught postgraduate students can use the University College London (UCL) libraries for reference.
- On your first visit, take your ID card with you to the desk and you will be issued with a UCL reference ticket.
The British Library
- You will need to apply to become a reader of the British Library if you want to use its collection: http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/inrrooms/stp/register/stpregister.html
- You should try to find the material you need at other academic libraries first using the SCONUL Access scheme.
- The BL has its own Business and IP Centre: http://www.bl.uk/bipc/
- You can see what e-resources are available to you on-site when you visit here: http://www.bl.uk/bipc/dbandpubs/busres/index.html They have access to some e-resources which we do not have here, such as Keynote.
- A particularly good public library for business students is City Business Library (London, EC2V 7HH).
- It is a free to access reference library, no registration is needed.
- You can see what e-resources are available to you on-site when you visit here: http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/business/economic-research-and-information/city-business-library/information-sheets/Pages/Electronic-resources.aspx They have access to some e-resources which we do not have here, such as Keynote.
Where can I search for books in other libraries?
- You can search the catalogues of academic libraries in London and the South East on theSearch25 website and can also use the COPAC website to find resources in the UK's major research libraries.
Monday, 4 November 2013
Monday, 28 October 2013
The libraries are now open 24/7- enjoy!
Check here for when staff are available: http://www.westminster.ac.uk/library-and-it/our-libraries
Photo credit: mag3737 on Flickr
Get better marks using Library Search
Learn how to find and use information better and faster! … plus they're free! ... No Need to Book - Just show up!Dates: Mon 28th Oct, Tue 29th Oct, Wed 30th Oct, Fri 1st Nov 2013
Times: 1.30-2.00pm & 4.15 – 4.45pm Where?: Marylebone Library Training Room (1st floor)
Exceed in your studies by using academic journals
Are you writing an essay or dissertation? Are you struggling to find quality sources of information? Have you been asked to look for journals but don’t know where to start? If so, you may find this practical workshop helpful. We will look at carrying out searches using various online databases and then locating full text article! ... No Need to Book - Just show up!
Dates: 4th Nov-8th Nov 2013
Times: 2.30-3pm & 4.15 – 4.45pm
Where?: Marylebone Library Training Room (1st floor)
Referencing the right way – don’t lose any marks
Losing marks for incorrect referencing? Then this is the session for you! Come along and discover how to Reference using Refworks a reference management tool. … plus they're free! ... No Need to Book - Just show up!
Dates: 18th Nov-22nd Nov and 25th Nov-29th Nov Times: 1.45-2.15pm & 4.15 – 4.45pm
Where?: Marylebone Library Training Room (1st floor)
To see the listings for these: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/org/4685648539
To see all training on offer, including IT training see: http://www.westminster.ac.uk/library-and-it/support-and-study-skills/library-and-it-training